Dave Ng has recently upgraded the Order of the Science Scouts of Exemplary Repute and Above Average Physique site, which provides a variety of achievement badges for members to claim and post. I’m not a big one for extra graphics on the blog (they delay the loading of the cute baby pictures), but if you’re into goofy stuff, they’ve got some fun options.
For the record, the badges I can claim include:
- I Blog About Science (duh)
- Has Frozen Stuff Just to See What Happens (Level III) (liquid nitrogen is cool)
- Worship Me, I’ve Published in Nature or Science
- Experienced with Electrical Shock (Level III) (I brushed against the ~1kV electrode on the plasma discharge source about three times in one week when I was in grad school)
- I’ve Set Fire to Stuff (Level III) (Thankfully, not including myself)
- Science Deprives Me of My Bed (Level I)
- I Somehow Convinced Someone to Part With a Lot of Money for Science (Level I)
- Quantum Mechanics: I Soooo Get It (I don’t, really, but the dog does.)
They’ve got a bunch of other new developments, too (Twitter and Facebook, etc.). So if you’re looking for a fun, low-impact Friday morning time-waster, you could do a lot worse.